The museum holds facsimile copies of old documents and studies of the great artist and scientist Leonardo da Vinci (1452-1519), who in 1502 travelled through Romagna in the wake of Cesare Borgia’s army.
The display is divided into two sections, a scientific and an ethnographic one. The former includes manuscripts and drawings pertaining to aspects of physics, mechanics and hydraulics, while the latter exhibits studies of the practices and customs of the traditions of Romagna of that historical era. Some drawings depict the so-called “concavities”, the conical hollows dug in the earth and used by shepherds to amplify the sound of horns so as to communicate over long distances.
Two such concavities were created in the nearby Parco San Donato di Vignola, making it possible to listen to sounds similar to those heard by Leonardo in our land over 500 years ago.
From June to September: Saturday from 9:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.; from October to May: Sunday from 3:00 p.m.- 6:00 p.m.
For visits and reservations outside of opening hours, please call at 329-2097279 least 3 days prior to the tour.